Ouran Live Action

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
trixi
jade
usa-chan
xinping2016
KiraKiraNipples
Otaku-Nipples
yanie
11 posters

Let's learn NIHONGO (Japanese language)!

yanie
    yanie
    Host Club Member

Let's learn NIHONGO (Japanese language)! Empty Let's learn NIHONGO (Japanese language)!

Post by yanie Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:28 am

Thanks to the suggestions from another thread, I decided to start this thread flower I'll do my best to answer. And I hope jade and anyone else who understands Japanese, or even just a bit and knows the answer, can help too, in this thread!^^

You can ask me anything! Should I start with Japanese greetings or Japanese characters (kanji, hiragana, katakana)?
    Otaku-Nipples
    Otaku-Nipples
    Host Club Member

Let's learn NIHONGO (Japanese language)! Empty Re: Let's learn NIHONGO (Japanese language)!

Post by Otaku-Nipples Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:08 am

Hey~! I know some greetings that I've been learning. I've asked a Japanese penpal if it's the right way to introduce yourself and he said yes~! ^^

はじめまして、わたしはAmyです。どうぞよろしく。

Hajimemashite, Watashi wa Amy desu. Dōzo yoroshiku.

How do you do, I'm Amy. Pleased to meet you.

Apparently, wa should look like わ (wa) but in sentences it is written as if it is は (ha) but will still sound like wa ~! Confusing ne!
    KiraKiraNipples
    KiraKiraNipples
    Scholarship Student

Let's learn NIHONGO (Japanese language)! Empty Re: Let's learn NIHONGO (Japanese language)!

Post by KiraKiraNipples Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:25 am

For me, I mainly know some slang words, but I can understand basic Japanese.
    Like I normally greet people online by saying ちょりーす~ - Chorisu. (I blame Kinoshita Yukina for getting me obsessed with this term)
    Or, I would use the term あげぽよ - agepoyo, whenever I get excited for something. xD

I just need to properly learn Kanji. D:

Last edited by KiraKiraNipples on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    xinping2016
    xinping2016
    Commoner

Post by xinping2016 Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:26 am

I know some basic Japanese X3

Otaku-Nipples wrote:Hey~! I know some greetings that I've been learning. I've asked a Japanese penpal if it's the right way to introduce yourself and he said yes~! ^^

Apparently, wa should look like わ (wa) but in sentences it is written as if it is は (ha) but will still sound like wa ~! Confusing ne!

The は here is a particle - I think of them as the Japanese's version of verbs. The common ones are は (pronounced wa when used as a particle) and を (wo).

Also, during speech, です (desu) is pronouced as des. Smile
    usa-chan
    usa-chan
    Honey's Bun-Bun

Post by usa-chan Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:28 am

*stares at kanji*
    wuuuut? o-o
    i should really learn. scratch
    Otaku-Nipples
    Otaku-Nipples
    Host Club Member

Post by Otaku-Nipples Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:29 am

xinping2016 wrote:I know some basic Japanese X3

Otaku-Nipples wrote:Hey~! I know some greetings that I've been learning. I've asked a Japanese penpal if it's the right way to introduce yourself and he said yes~! ^^

The は here is a particle - I think of them as the Japanese's version of verbs. The common ones are は (pronounced wa when used as a particle) and を (wo).

Yeah~! wa is the subject particle right?
    xinping2016
    xinping2016
    Commoner

Post by xinping2016 Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:36 am

Otaku-Nipples wrote:
    xinping2016 wrote:I know some basic Japanese X3

Yeah~! wa is the subject particle right?

Yup!

I self-taught myself looking at the lyrics of Japanese songs Smile
    YUI's especially because she uses a lot of simple yet meaningful words in her songs!
    As a result I know basic Kanji...but my friend said I'm playing it dirty since I'm chinese - I just look at the Kanji and guess my way thru. I'm not proud of it tho Sad
    jade
    jade
    Takagicest

Post by jade Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:10 am

Of course I'll help out on here (^-^)v
    First, the most important thing to know. In Japanese, the sentence order is the opposite of English!

I eat pasta.
    SUBJECT VERB OBJECT

私はパスタを食べる。
    watashi-wa pasuta-wo taberu.

(I pasta eat)
    SUBJECT OBJECT VERB

*The は/wa particle shows it's the subject. The を/wo particle shows it's the object. The verb comes last.*

Now you can learn to introduce yourself:

+ I am Jade.

+ 私はジェードです。
    + watashi-wa Jade desu.
    (I Jade am)

Good luck everyone!
    Otaku-Nipples
    Otaku-Nipples
    Host Club Member

Post by Otaku-Nipples Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:33 am

Another way to say I'm Amy (obviously putting your own name Wink

So you have:

わたしはAmyです。

watashi wa Amy desu.

I (subject) am Amy

ですdesu = am/is/are

OR

わたしのなまえはAmyです。

watashi no namae wa Amy desu.

My name is Amy

の no = possession particle
    usa-chan
    usa-chan
    Honey's Bun-Bun

Post by usa-chan Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:52 am

i'm used to the order of the sentence opposing to english.
    it's because i study indonesian and it's like that too. thank you for guiding people that don't understand very well, i appreciate it and i'm sure others appreciate this as well. :3 Nodding
    trixi
    trixi
    Scholarship Student

Post by trixi Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:45 am

I've studied Japanese for 1½ years at uni so I'll be glad to help out!
    In my school Japanese syntax is an obligatory part and from what I remember from the syntax lessons

は (wa) is the topic marker (what you're gonna talk about)
    を (wo) is the object marker and
    が (ga) is the subject marker

for example,

私は魚が好きです
    watashi ha sakana ga sukidesu
    I like fish

The topic, marked with は, is 'I'
    and the subject, fish, is marked with が followed by the verb.
    Cinnamonipples
    Cinnamonipples
    Yusuke's Bum
    Yusuke's Bum

Post by Cinnamonipples Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:06 am

I know my hiragana and katakana fairly well, but I have almost no clue about kanji. XD

And I only know an assortment of nouns and the sentence structure "*blank* wa *blank* desu". >w<
    Otaku-Nipples
    Otaku-Nipples
    Host Club Member

Post by Otaku-Nipples Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:25 am

I really need to practice my hiragana and katakana~!

I only know a bit of Kanji from learning beginners Mandarin during sixth form...
    Cinnamonipples
    Cinnamonipples
    Yusuke's Bum
    Yusuke's Bum

Post by Cinnamonipples Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:56 pm

Guys guys guys
    wanna know how I learned my hiragana and katakana?

First, I printed out a chart of each.
    Each day (hiragana three years ago and katakana last year, I got a bit distracted and wasn't learning for a while), I would write a character on my hand, and its English romanization underneath. So I'd spend each day, looking at my hand all day and seeing the character. Every day I'd test myself on the ones I knew. It was a good way to memorize how the character looked, and keep drilling myself on the ones I knew already. Very Happy
    ManpeiFanservice
    ManpeiFanservice
    Home Practice

Post by ManpeiFanservice Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:15 pm

I LOVED THE HAND IDEA YOU ARE A GENIUS OK

Cinnamon is our Mori! Claps everyone! *o*
    Otaku-Nipples
    Otaku-Nipples
    Host Club Member

Post by Otaku-Nipples Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:08 am

Cinnamonipples wrote:Guys guys guys
    wanna know how I learned my hiragana and katakana?

First, I printed out a chart of each.
    Each day (hiragana three years ago and katakana last year, I got a bit distracted and wasn't learning for a while), I would write a character on my hand, and its English romanization underneath. So I'd spend each day, looking at my hand all day and seeing the character. Every day I'd test myself on the ones I knew. It was a good way to memorize how the character looked, and keep drilling myself on the ones I knew already. Very Happy

That's a really good idea! I might try that! I've been trying to learn them in lines of like

A I U E O then KA KI KU KE KO but it's hard to remember~! So I might try your idea instead Smile
    enggrrl
    enggrrl
    Renge-taku

Post by enggrrl Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:57 am

With hiragana and katakana, sometimes it's easy to remember them based on what they look like.

For example: ki-きkinda looks like a key. Ta-た-looks like ta (sort of). Shi-し-looks like long hair, so 'she'
    hi-ひ- looks like a big smile saying 'hee hee' .he-へ (pronounced hey) makes me think of an eyebrow when someone says 'heyyy' ka-か- looks like a K to me, and ni-に- sort of looks like a knee.

The same thing can be done with some of the more basic level kanjis (like the ones used for weekdays)

I can actually read more than I can speak, but I really have to work on the talking. *grin*
    jade
    jade
    Takagicest

Post by jade Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:23 am

enggrrl wrote:With hiragana and katakana, sometimes it's easy to remember them based on what they look like.

For example: ki-きkinda looks like a key. Ta-た-looks like ta (sort of). Shi-し-looks like long hair, so 'she'
    hi-ひ- looks like a big smile saying 'hee hee' .he-へ (pronounced hey) makes me think of an eyebrow when someone says 'heyyy' ka-か- looks like a K to me, and ni-に- sort of looks like a knee.

The same thing can be done with some of the more basic level kanjis (like the ones used for weekdays)

I can actually read more than I can speak, but I really have to work on the talking. *grin*

That's how I learned my hiragana and katakana, actually o(^-^)o
    Raitei
    Raitei
    Ouran Student

Post by Raitei Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:12 am

enggrrl wrote:With hiragana and katakana, sometimes it's easy to remember them based on what they look like.

I think it's easy to learn like that. Nice ideas! :3 Nodding

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:19 am