Live Action Tamaki will NOT be half-japanese!

Poll

How do you feel about this change?

[ 25 ]
    34% [34%] 
    [ 10 ]
    14% [14%] 
    [ 38 ]
    52% [52%] 

Total Votes: 73
    Nipples Admin
    Your Sexy Admin from Tumblr

Live Action Tamaki will NOT be half-japanese!

Post by Nipples Admin on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:22 am

I posted this on Tumblr just now. But I figured I should repost here because this is a major discussion topic!

Quote: "ちなみにドラマの環はハーフ設定じゃないはずです(^^)"

The very helpful careline18 from Tumblr just told me that in this tweet from Bisco Hatori, she states that in the drama Tamaki is NOT a half (half-french half-japanese).

The question is, will this change Tamaki’s whole background? What do you think will happen to Tamaki’s story and what are your thoughts on this change? What do you think Tamaki’s background in the live action will be like now? LET'S MAKE THEORIES!

My personal opinion: omg, I'm shocked at this and I'm so curious on how they're going to change Tamaki's background story. I'm not against it though since I guess they would not be able to pass Yusuke off as half-French anyway. I'm just super curious. My theory is that Tamaki's father's affair will happen, just with a Japanese woman instead of French. I think that kind of situation would still be "shameful" in his grandma's eyes because Tamaki is not the child of the woman his father married. Maybe his mother could be a "commoner" as well? The grandma could still separate the two of them and she could still disappear. That's just my theory right now. What are yours?

Re: Live Action Tamaki will NOT be half-japanese!

Post by usa-chan on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:28 am

I really don't like this idea. ;'c
    I think the half French/Japanese was really an important part of Tamaki for me, but if they change it to his mother was a commoner, it'd be slightly.. okay.
    I just wish they wouldn't change it.
    Otaku-Nipples
    Host Club Member

Post by Otaku-Nipples on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:31 am

Yeah, I think they might play more on the fact that the mother was someone who the Grandmother didn't approve of...Something like that?
    Nipples Admin

Post by Nipples Admin on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:02 am

Tamaki's grandma disapproves of everything so it shouldn't be too hard, hahaha. But yeah, my theory is that they're going to keep the general idea of Tamaki's background story and his estranged relationship with his family. I don't think there will be a total 180 change like he lives with his mom or anything. That's why I don't really mind.

Post by evagrrr on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:05 am

I guess it depends on what his new background will be. If it's good, then I won't mind a lot. It would've been really complicated to explain it all in a few episodes anyway.
    MangaMistrezz
    #1 Ouran Supporter

Post by MangaMistrezz on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:17 am

Hmm....I don't think it's TOO big of a deal. Yeah, it changes things...but I'm still sure the live action will improvise. We'll just have to watch to find out.
    Remember? Many said that the Ouran live action would suck...but it doesn't. Many said Maki should have been Haruhi...but Haruna is doing a great job. And many (and I mean MANY) complained about Yusuke being Tamaki....but he shut them up with his AMAZING acting. We should just wait and see before judging. :3 Nodding
    りんちゃん
    Scholarship Student

Post by りんちゃん on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:58 am

I was a little irritated when I first read this, but seeing as they barely changed anything else in the live action and have done and amazing job with everything so far, I'll like what they do with it. (Commoner idea FTW!)
    Cinnamonipples
    Yusuke's Bum
    Yusuke's Bum

Post by Cinnamonipples on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:56 am

I'm curious, though, as to why Yusuke wears the lighter contacts, if they weren't planning on having this plot point. I wish they'd kept it in, I know lots of half-Asian people who look really Asian so it's not like it was an appearance issue.
    setolove
    Host Club Member

Post by setolove on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:15 am

I really don't mind the change. Either way, Ouran is still awesome and I'm sure that things will work out~~ Yusuke and everyone else are doing a splendid job so even those kind of changes won't be a problem. ^_____^
    nipplespvmk
    Scholarship Student

Post by nipplespvmk on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:16 am

I am slightly disappointed, as I loved how he was half-French, but I guess that makes sense, and it's better than having Yusuke horribly butchering French in a ridiculous Japanese accent..
    Wait a minute, that would be awesome! I wanna see that!
    *sigh*
    But yeah, whatever, I'm sure they will find some way to work around it.
    *sulks*
    He could of had a ridiculous accent...
    Tamakisnipples
    The King

Post by Tamakisnipples on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:58 am

I am kind of sad this happened, seeing as how him being half-french was a huge part of who he was. But that's okay, Yusuke is doing a GREAT job as him! I hope they make it work.
    HopeHazard
    Scholarship Student

Post by HopeHazard on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Well, i guess that since the drama's going to be so much shorter than the anime, they won't really have to talk about Tamaki's background as much.

But the fact that Tamaki IS half-French, half-Japanese is a big thing for his overall character. That's why he doesn't see his mother, and that's why he the romantic guy that he is.

I just kinda feel like they're taking away a big part of his character.
    Kumachan~
    Commoner

Post by Kumachan~ on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:08 pm

i just read it and i was a little shocked,i mean that's a big part of the story,it have to be a lot with Tamaki's background and it gives deepness to the character.it explain lots of things and Tamaki's personality is based in that fact,and also why he can't live in the main mansion,and why his grandmother "hates" him,etc....tho that explain some things like why he doesn't have blonde hair.Anyways till now i've liked the drama lots so,just hope they know what they're doing .

(i hope what i say is legible D:...)
    Fujioka Haruhi
    Scholarship Student

Location : Hiding from Tamaki-sen--crap, he found me xjhfdg LET GO OF THE KEYBOARD

Post by Fujioka Haruhi on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:05 pm

I'm a little bothered by them changing Tamaki's backstory. Him being half French was a HUGE part of his character. It explained his fascination with Japanese culture and history, and his personality. He has that same wide-eyed naivete his mother has about many things, especially when it comes to Japan.

I'll wait to see what the drama plans to do with his backstory before I criticize their decision. They've done a great job with everything thus far, so we'll see~

As for the suggestion about them having his mother be a Japanese commoner... I don't think that would really make sense considering he has this obsession with commoner's things. His "What do you mean it's not awesome?!" reaction to things like instant commoner's coffee are hilariously part of who he is. xD
    Nipples Admin

Post by Nipples Admin on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:09 pm

Fujioka Haruhi wrote:As for the suggestion about them having his mother be a Japanese commoner... I don't think that would really make sense considering he has this obsession with commoner's things. His "What do you mean it's not awesome?!" reaction to things like instant commoner's coffee are hilariously part of who he is. xD

Haha yeah, I just realized that 'commoner' theory wouldn't make sense. I was thinking that it would be another explanation for why Tamaki is so fascinated by commoner culture, but he's also supposed to be unfamiliar to it as well. Hopefully the drama will have another way for Tamaki's mother to be disapproved by his grandma.

Yusuke's Bum

Post by Cinnamonipples on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:13 pm

WE CAN'T HAVE OURAN WITHOUT DISAPPROVING GRANDMAS!

edit: oh my god best thing to have at the top of the page
    RandomTanuki
    OURAN FOR MEN

Post by RandomTanuki on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:57 am

My first thought when I read he wouldn't be half French (besides "WHAT?!") was that maybe they did it so they wouldn't have to worry about filming any scenes set in France (there are some in the manga) or getting a French actress or someone who looks French for Tamaki's mother. I don't think Tamaki has to look French, but his mother definitely does. But they don't even have to show his mom (the anime didn't really), so I'm wondering if they have special plans or something...hmmm...

I also thought maybe they did it to keep things simple and clear, making everything easier for them to convey properly in the short time they have...but that doesn't really make that much sense to me.

I'm kind of disappointed that they would change something so vital to his character, but in such a short drama I don't think it'll make much difference, so I'm neutral about it. Then again, with the drama being so short, I don't really understand why they couldn't have just kept him half-french. I don't know...the whole thing just puzzles me. I didn't think they would be doing much with Tamaki's family situation in the drama, given its length, but I have to wonder now if they're going to put a lot of focus on it. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

beasttamer
    Commoner

Post by beasttamer on Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:41 am

well, I think as long as it was categorized as something that is not approved by his grandmother, it'd be..okay.
    but I have to see it first before deciding against it, although this one is surely surprising news for Ouran fans, including me.
    trixi
    Scholarship Student

Post by trixi on Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:00 am

Since the drama is so short I don't think they'll have the time to include the story about Tamaki's past. So if they'll leave it then I'm absolutely fine with him not being half. We'll just have to wait and see, that's why I picked the third option.
    edlws-x
    Commoner

Post by edlws-x on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:14 pm

guys yusuke is so perfect idk if im gonna judge in advance ;~; i think ill watch first then judge~
    Fujioka Haruhi
    Scholarship Student

Location : Hiding from Tamaki-sen--crap, he found me xjhfdg LET GO OF THE KEYBOARD

Post by Fujioka Haruhi on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:05 pm

I wonder if they're changing Tamaki's past because they're planning on making the drama longer than originally planned. Otherwise, 11 or so episodes really wouldn't be enough to get too far into his backstory and warrant a change that big in his character.
    annanipples
    ate all the yogurt

Post by annanipples on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:14 pm

Fujioka Haruhi wrote:I wonder if they're changing Tamaki's past because they're planning on making the drama longer than originally planned. Otherwise, 11 or so episodes really wouldn't be enough to get too far into his backstory and warrant a change that big in his character.

This makes so much sense that I'm adopting it as headcanon until further notice.

But... yeah, overall I'm okay with this change. It doesn't really matter to me. We'll always have half-Japanese Tamaki in the manga and anime anyway, so if they wanna take it on a slightly different direction, I'll trust them to do it right. Very Happy
    Raitei
    Ouran Student

Post by Raitei on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 am

I don't really see this change as a problem. I mean, Grandma Suoh doesn't like Tamaki because he's a mistress' baby. His dad is already married before he met Anne Sophie, right? And she's not from a rich household, either.

Sure, the distance and longing will not be as great as when Sophie is in France, but I think being closer yet not being able to meet is a lot, lot worse. That makes up for a great conflict, don't you think? Also, Tamaki is yet to show fascination toward the Japanese culture--just the commoner things. Then again, I guess that was already considered from the start.

Post by TamakiLuver88 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:48 am

should be interesting when time comes to talk about his family
    yanie
    Host Club Member

Post by yanie on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:25 pm

It's official! Tamaki is 1/4 FRENCH in the live-action!!!! Yokattaaaaa~~~
    I'm so glad Tamaki still has French blood in him!!^v^

Kyoya said 「彼女は日本の血が半分流れたフランス人」 which means Tamaki's mother is half Japanese and half French, and I think the sentence implied that she has French citizenship. And they didn't change the setting that Tamaki's father met his mother in Paris, and also the fact that Tamaki's mother is still in Paris now, is not changed either!! Yatta~~!!

I think this is a clever move from the production team! This way, they can stay true to the manga's plot. And... they won't have much trouble in finding the actress for Tamaki's mother, since she'd be half-Japanese^^

So I guess Tamaki's "color contact lenses" does say something^^

I'm sooooo looking forward to "Kyoya in Paris" in the movie now!!! Onion XD (and then perhaps, the rest of the host club members would come to Paris too XD)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:43 am