Ouran Live Action

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Keshia
Otaku-Nipples
seaweed
yanie
JennyJukes
awesome_nipples
usa-chan
11 posters

Just curious, does any one object against you liking Asian things?

usa-chan
    usa-chan
    Honey's Bun-Bun

Just curious, does any one object against you liking Asian things? Empty Just curious, does any one object against you liking Asian things?

Post by usa-chan Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:57 am

Look, I know that some of us are actually Asian, but you still count, as I'm curious to know if anyone is racist to you as well for liking Asian things.
    I'm not Asian, so I just had a huge argument with my sister.
    -
    my sister (natasha): YOUR NOT ASIAAAAAAAAAN. THIS IS AUSTRALIA YOU LIVE IN AUSTRALIA YOU ARE AUSTRALIAN get over it :L

me: This should be the last time I say this, hopefully: YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN. This is Australia, you live in Australia, you are Australian, so perhaps you should stop listening to American music, stop watching American shows and stop using American products if I'm not even allowed to enjoy something from Japan or Korea. I'm really sick of you using the excuse of me not being Asian to make me stop enjoying something, so stop it. Unlike you, I don't like revealing clothes, make-up or anything else. You may not like what I like, I may not like what you like, but grow up and stop telling me off for something that is a personal choice. I hate make-up, but do I tell you to stop covering your face in it?

my sister:i was being a smart ass it was a joke then you get all fucking serious and say that shit i suggest you keep hiding away because i will slam your face and make you look fucking asian too.

me: congratulations natasha. you're threatening to beat me up because i said something that you know is true. regardless of whether it was a joke or not, i still meant what i said.

my sister: okay well if you want to be a little smart ass here we go, i like to muck around hence me teasing you about your over obsession with Asian things if you want to cry about it then have a cry, but if your going to bring out things like but i enjoy this blah blah well then your just as bad because i like makeup, and just because i CAN LOOK AFTER MYSELF and look good and pretty and wear nice clothes unlike you doesn't make me weird and different to NORMAL people, just because you choose to sit and hide and live like a pig and not take care of your looks and waste your life behind a computer 24/7 listening and watching nothing but Asian shit, doesn't make me weird honey because you freaks are the weird ones.

me: Natasha, you completely missed the point. I don't tell you off for liking these things, infact, I move on and just accept that's apart of you. Sure, my choice of life-style may be odd, but that's who I am. The thing is, I don't tell you off for liking these things, sure, it may be normal, but to other people, the stuff I like is normal too. I may be what others call a freak, or what others like to bully and make fun of because of my appearance and odd personality, but guess what, I don't care. I accept the fact that they're different to me. So seriously, stop with teasing me about something that I appreciate and enjoy, and just consider it. I don't think I'm going to tell off anyone for wearing something I don't like, because I like things they don't like.

Then she got embarrased and sent me a private message, insulting me further.

Her: OMG I CANOT BE BOTHERED WITH YOU ALL IM GOING TO SAY IS THAT YOUR A WEIRDO HOW ABOUT YOU GROW UP BECAUSE YOUR CHOOSING THIS LIFE STYLE AND THEN YOUR GOING TO BE ALL DEPRESSED WHEN YOUR OLDER AND ITS YOUR FAULT BECUASE YOU CHOOSE TO BE WEIRD AND A FREAK AND LIVE LIKE A PIG AND NOONE IS GOING TO WANT TO BE AROUND THAT OR LIKE YOU AND YOUR GOING TO GROW LONLEY!
    -
    This is just an example of one of the many people that go against me for liking things like this.
    So, I'm curious, are you discriminated against for your likes?

awesome_nipples
    awesome_nipples
    Regular Client

Just curious, does any one object against you liking Asian things? Empty Re: Just curious, does any one object against you liking Asian things?

Post by awesome_nipples Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:42 am

usa-chan wrote:Look, I know that some of us are actually Asian, but you still count, as I'm curious to know if anyone is racist to you as well for liking Asian things.
    I'm not Asian, so I just had a huge argument with my sister.
    -
    my sister (natasha): YOUR NOT ASIAAAAAAAAAN. THIS IS AUSTRALIA YOU LIVE IN AUSTRALIA YOU ARE AUSTRALIAN get over it :L

me: This should be the last time I say this, hopefully: YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN. This is Australia, you live in Australia, you are Australian, so perhaps you should stop listening to American music, stop watching American shows and stop using American products if I'm not even allowed to enjoy something from Japan or Korea. I'm really sick of you using the excuse of me not being Asian to make me stop enjoying something, so stop it. Unlike you, I don't like revealing clothes, make-up or anything else. You may not like what I like, I may not like what you like, but grow up and stop telling me off for something that is a personal choice. I hate make-up, but do I tell you to stop covering your face in it?

my sister:i was being a smart ass it was a joke then you get all fucking serious and say that shit i suggest you keep hiding away because i will slam your face and make you look fucking asian too.

me: congratulations natasha. you're threatening to beat me up because i said something that you know is true. regardless of whether it was a joke or not, i still meant what i said.

my sister: okay well if you want to be a little smart ass here we go, i like to muck around hence me teasing you about your over obsession with Asian things if you want to cry about it then have a cry, but if your going to bring out things like but i enjoy this blah blah well then your just as bad because i like makeup, and just because i CAN LOOK AFTER MYSELF and look good and pretty and wear nice clothes unlike you doesn't make me weird and different to NORMAL people, just because you choose to sit and hide and live like a pig and not take care of your looks and waste your life behind a computer 24/7 listening and watching nothing but Asian shit, doesn't make me weird honey because you freaks are the weird ones.

me: Natasha, you completely missed the point. I don't tell you off for liking these things, infact, I move on and just accept that's apart of you. Sure, my choice of life-style may be odd, but that's who I am. The thing is, I don't tell you off for liking these things, sure, it may be normal, but to other people, the stuff I like is normal too. I may be what others call a freak, or what others like to bully and make fun of because of my appearance and odd personality, but guess what, I don't care. I accept the fact that they're different to me. So seriously, stop with teasing me about something that I appreciate and enjoy, and just consider it. I don't think I'm going to tell off anyone for wearing something I don't like, because I like things they don't like.

Then she got embarrased and sent me a private message, insulting me further.

Her: OMG I CANOT BE BOTHERED WITH YOU ALL IM GOING TO SAY IS THAT YOUR A WEIRDO HOW ABOUT YOU GROW UP BECAUSE YOUR CHOOSING THIS LIFE STYLE AND THEN YOUR GOING TO BE ALL DEPRESSED WHEN YOUR OLDER AND ITS YOUR FAULT BECUASE YOU CHOOSE TO BE WEIRD AND A FREAK AND LIVE LIKE A PIG AND NOONE IS GOING TO WANT TO BE AROUND THAT OR LIKE YOU AND YOUR GOING TO GROW LONLEY!
    -
    This is just an example of one of the many people that go against me for liking things like this.
    So, I'm curious, are you discriminated against for your likes?

... yeah that's about the same way it goes with me... but then In Belgium...
    well it was and still is my dream to study japanese in university but for some reason I dropped out of the course and I will regret it forever. People made fun of me because I wanted to study that but I found them all to be hypocrites because they didn't even know what is was about and that pissed me off mayor way !!!
    my twinsister (my complete opposite) keeps making fun of me when I watch j-dramas or animes and stuff she says that it's for no-lives and toddlers... SHE DOES NOT KNOW THE BEAUTY IN THOSE STORYLINES!!!!
    my older sister.. she doesn't comment to me about it but I know that she thinks I'm weird (she said so behind my back) I HAVE GOOD HEARING !!
    my mom and dad are the only ones who realise that everything about Japan is what I want to do and where I want to be so I'm glad they don't find me to weird.

anyway I think every Japan lovin fangirl/boy has to deal with those kind of reactions.
    JennyJukes
    JennyJukes
    Commoner

Just curious, does any one object against you liking Asian things? Empty Re: Just curious, does any one object against you liking Asian things?

Post by JennyJukes Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:23 am

that's horrible
    i didn't tell my friends for my love of all asian things for quite a while, they make fun every so often but they know i'm serious when i say i want to work in Asia doing anthropology. i'm lucky my friends are tolerant i guess and i met others at college who like anime Smile my family don't really mind either that i want to go to Asia, or that I may eat asian foods or ask for manga for my birthday, no-one tells me to stop trying to be asian except internet people who really don't matter, they only say it because they can hide behind a screen and love to insult others without any consequences. i suppose i'm blessed really haha, i have an interest and dreams so it's really no-ones business:)
    yanie
    yanie
    Host Club Member

Post by yanie Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:30 am

I understand how you feel Hug

In Indonesia, sometimes I feel that some people here thinks like this...

Liking AMERICAN things (Hollywood movies) and Indonesian stuff = NORMAL
    Liking JAPAN/KOREA/CHINA stuff = WEIRDO

But perhaps it's 50/50 here.... since I'm in Asia, there are very, very many who likes Japan/Korea/China stuff too, of course. I tend to make friends who likes Asian stuff.

Sadly, my brothers and my cousins are in the "American" faction Sad Long ago, my brother used to scream at me, "Why are you keep listening to Japanese songs?? Stop it will ya, it's getting on my nerves!". Of course I'll respond, "Then why are you keep listening to American songs??". He answered "I understand the songs! Do you even understand what you're listening to!?". LOL, but that was a long time ago when we were teenagers. Perhaps that's why I finally determined to learn Japanese XD

Sometimes I feel sad that the fact I'm only watching Japanese stuff, would make people goes "Huh?", and they don't even realize that they're only watching American movies. I don't get it...

Oh well... I won't let that bother me^^ I've been a Japanese Ent-World fan for 10 years now, I'm getting pretty good in ignoring stuff like this.
    seaweed
    seaweed
    Scholarship Student

Post by seaweed Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:44 am

Oh wow that's terrible. That's why I think anthropology should be a mandatory subject in schools (another anthro major here Very Happy ) People should really know what cultural relativism is! And they should just stop bashing others for being "different." I guess it is the norm that liking American stuff = normal, but there are other options out there and people are welcome to like them. I guess I do get away with liking Asian stuff because I'm Asian (though living in a western country), but it sucks that people judge you because you're not Asian and you like Asian stuff. I mean, I don't see people bashing Asians for liking American stuff, so why the double standard? Mad
    Otaku-Nipples
    Otaku-Nipples
    Host Club Member

Post by Otaku-Nipples Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:22 am

Oh wow! I can't believe how prejudice some people can be! I feel really upset for you all who are experiencing this sort of segregation, I mean, I'm from England and I've really never been bullied or taunted at for what I like. I started enjoying Asian culture when I was 16 in Sixth Form, starting with anime, but always had someone to talk to about the programmes I was watching etc.
    My family are really supportive when it comes down to Asian stuff I like. My Dad thinks it's brilliant and will sit down and watch some of the Japanese/Korean/Chinese films I have on DVD, and he enjoys them!
    My Mom doesn't go as far as to watch them but like I collect little Momiji dolls which have an Asian look to them and she will buy me them for my birthday, or get me HaraJuku perfume.
    My parents are really supportive about me learning Japanese and hoping to go to Japan on a teaching programme.
    My little brother teases me, he's 16 but it's really playful banter, and he's even watched some of the anime I own and I shown him an episode of Hana Kimi and he could not stop laughing...he doesn't like subtitles though haha!
    Even my grandparents know what I like, and my one Grandad, he bought my Japanese and Chinese language books and always checks to make sure I'm still learning. He think's it's great how much I'm into the culture.
    Keshia
    Keshia
    Host Club Member

Post by Keshia Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:59 am

My mom does. She thinks I'm living "in dream land" because I have an obsession with Japan. She calls me childish because I want everything that's Hello Kitty, including home appliances and stuff. She thinks that because I'm 19 that I can't like those things anymore. I still go against her though and buy whatever Hello Kitty thing I want. As long as it's something that SHE doesn't have to use - like a HK toaster or frying pan, then she doesn't really care, though she still thinks it's stupid.

I remember last year whenever I wanted to get Chinese food, she'd get it, because she liked it. Like, honey chicken, fried rice, those "not so asian" things. However, now that we moved, she doesn't like getting anything Asian because it's a far drive, and whenever I suggest if she could get me those already made Sushi dish thinggies she tells me she doesn't wanna eat that s**t.

She's very much against watching anything on TV that's Asian. If she can't understand it, she won't watch it. Which is a shame, because I can understand Japanese and I do love to sit on the couch once in a while and watch my TV instead of being forced to stay in my room all the time just to watch it.

I'm moving out soon, on my own, so I'm going to deck out my place like it's little asia <3

I'm very glad though that my mom isn't one of those people that'll curse me out for watching/liking asian stuff, and she doesn't banned me from watching it. She just doesn't want me to have anything to do with it around her.

Oh, and my friends think I'm a freak/weird/strange/all those things, because I prefer an Asian man over a "normal" man. They also like to tell me how small Asians are... cos they know everything >_<

Btw, @usa-chan you're Australian <3 I'm Australian... sorta. I'm coming back soon we must be friends ^.^ *_* haha.
    Otaku-Nipples
    Otaku-Nipples
    Host Club Member

Post by Otaku-Nipples Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:02 am

My friends know how much Asian stuff I like too, on my tumblr it's filled with Asian related stuff, so much so I got a tweet saying this haha!
    @AmyLoupyDoo Actually in Asia nowadays, Korean stuff r more popular! Btw, do u listen to Jpop? n do u think Asian boys r handsome??:-P
    ASIAN BOYS ARE SO HANDSOME! Onion Daydreaming
    Even my brother knows about that, especially with an accidental glance he had of the shirtless Takagi twin act Onion Nosebleed
    Keshia
    Keshia
    Host Club Member

Post by Keshia Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:06 am

I try to ignore my friends when they start ratting on me about Asian boys. That's why on my FB when I write something about swooning over something Asian related I write in Japanese... cos they ignore me then haha.
    Isidarnipples
    Isidarnipples
    Shadow Queen

Post by Isidarnipples Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:37 am

That's quite horrible.

I don't really get people being like that about liking asian things (I'm asian though) but I do get it for my music taste. Which granted, my mp3 is a mix of asian music, musicals, asian musicals...and then all this random stuff. Not to that extent though. I guess the best way to deal with it is to not talk about things to people if you know they're going to roll their eyes at you or what. I mean, I have all these asian shows I watch, and then I have all these animes...but in with that there are a lot of shows that aren't asian as well. I tend to pick and choose what I talk to certain people about, but hey, that might not be a good model to go off. Like, I don't know if the rest of my family even knows all the stuff I watch/am interested in. But since they're a lot older and we're not living together, it makes sense.

I know my friend gets a lot of crap from her parents about going to conventions and cosplaying (they won't let her youngest sister go because they want one 'normal' child) and someone else I know can only choose like, three conventions a year.

But yeah, generally, unless I know it will be well recieved (or at least tolerated), I don't talk about things with people. But that's me who likes to keep a firm line between fandom and 'life'. It's probably not completely healthy, really. (Said line is wavering really badly though).

I guess...there will always be people who look down on others because they don't understand the things that person likes. But if you just let it slide off you as much as possible and don't take the bait...attacking them in turn will put them on the defensive. you just need to find the people who do understand, who won't go on at you because they can relate. And trust me. People like that DO exist in Australia. First hand experience says so and if you don't believe me, look at the thousands of people who'll be at Manifest this weekend! Also, being 'normal' is overrated. Razz
    Otaku-Nipples
    Otaku-Nipples
    Host Club Member

Post by Otaku-Nipples Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:12 am

Isidarnipples wrote:That's quite horrible.

I don't really get people being like that about liking asian things (I'm asian though) but I do get it for my music taste. Which granted, my mp3 is a mix of asian music, musicals, asian musicals...and then all this random stuff. Not to that extent though. I guess the best way to deal with it is to not talk about things to people if you know they're going to roll their eyes at you or what. I mean, I have all these asian shows I watch, and then I have all these animes...but in with that there are a lot of shows that aren't asian as well. I tend to pick and choose what I talk to certain people about, but hey, that might not be a good model to go off. Like, I don't know if the rest of my family even knows all the stuff I watch/am interested in. But since they're a lot older and we're not living together, it makes sense.

I'm like that, I have certain things I'll talk about with certain friends
    Isidarnipples
    Isidarnipples
    Shadow Queen

Post by Isidarnipples Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:30 am

Otaku-Nipples wrote:

I'm like that, I have certain things I'll talk about with certain friends

I see it as kinda..being adaptive. Sure, self-preservation is a part of it...but in the end, I'm friends with different people for different reasons so it kinda makes sense to talk to them about different things. *shrug*
    Cinnamonipples
    Cinnamonipples
    Yusuke's Bum
    Yusuke's Bum

Post by Cinnamonipples Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:40 am

I feel sorry for all of you. >.<

Both my parents are total geeks. Even during the time I wanted to fit in more at school (gave up on that after a few months >w<), I was still raised on science fiction shows and movies. My dad collected comic books when he was younger and my mom watched the original Star Trek as it aired on TV for the first time. We have a small library's worth of sci-fi and fantasy novels in the basement. My parents basically made sure I'd seen the Star Wars movies before age 10. I come by my geekiness honestly. XD Even though Asian stuff isn't really their thing, they're totally cool with me liking it.

My sister's not into it as much either, but she loves going to anime conventions with me, and is just as much of a geek as everyone else in the immediate family.

In elementary/middle school (my elementary school went up to grade Cool, I did have some resistance. I liked J-Rock and Visual Kei in eight grade, and there was this one girl who would actively come up to me whenever I had a photobook or magazine, just to piss me off, and be like, "Those are girls. I don't care what you say, you're stupid for thinking they're boys. They're girls."

High school? The anime club was the largest and most active club in the school last year. (I'm one of the presidents next year, I have a lot to live up to, the last president was pretty much the most amazing girl ever, but she graduated this year. XD) The school is over a third Asian anyways. Even a lot of the more popular people watch at least a bit of anime (the last president was one of the most popular girls in school >w<). As for music, it's like, "But you don't understand it!" "I know." "Alright, whatever floats your boat." I fuckin' love my high school. XD

And of course, anime conventions, where some of the coolest people are, and everyone shares interests with you. If you haven't gone to one, and you get the chance, GO.

LONG STORY SHORT: Cinnamon has met little resistance on her path to being a huge otaku. XD
    usa-chan
    usa-chan
    Honey's Bun-Bun

Post by usa-chan Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:44 am

I've seen the comments about australia, and it's very true. I have to say, Australia is a very racist country. Not everyone is really racist, it's just the large majority is.
    I have my friend that I can go all fan-girl with, I don't recall ever fan-girling to my sister actually. Some times to annoy her, I'll start talking about anime. Which I also do to the guy in my class who is very much like that described type up there, the "it's not even in our language so why do you like it?" guy.
    so, when he's annoying me, i start singing kpop.
    i don't like prejudice, whether it's towards Asians or any culture and race, and it really saddens me to know acts like these still continue.
    Keshia wrote:Btw, @usa-chan you're Australian <3 I'm Australian... sorta. I'm coming back soon we must be friends ^.^ *_* haha.
    Yay~! An Australia friend that is actually cool. Not very common, most people these days are 'lads' or 'eshaaaays'.
    Cinnamonipples
    Cinnamonipples
    Yusuke's Bum
    Yusuke's Bum

Post by Cinnamonipples Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:48 am

Actually, a lot of people on this forum seem to be from Australia. XD I know Izzy (Isidarnipples) is. >w<
    Mind you, Australia is not a tiny country so depending on where you live, you can't exactly all meet up.
    Isidarnipples
    Isidarnipples
    Shadow Queen

Post by Isidarnipples Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:00 am

usa-chan wrote:I've seen the comments about australia, and it's very true. I have to say, Australia is a very racist country. Not everyone is really racist, it's just the large majority is.

I've never met many people who are really racist. Part of that would be the people I know. But I still wouldn't call us a racist country though (WHOAH I JUST MISSPELLED COUNTRY SOMETHING BAD). I think racism is just everywhere, and discrimination will always exists everywhere in some for or another.
    Keshia
    Keshia
    Host Club Member

Post by Keshia Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:30 am

Yes, very true! Where abouts, Usa-Chan <3 I love Usa-Chan btw *_*
    Tamakisnipples
    Tamakisnipples
    The King

Post by Tamakisnipples Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:17 am

I know how derogatory otaku is in Japanese but I still call myself that even though I DEFINITELY have other interests just so people don't pick on me for reading manga in public. =__=
    I figure if I make fun of myself their fun is gone so they don't do it. Also I always get the "you're chubby why do you like these skinny pretty boys wouldn't it look funny?"
    Jerks.
    Otaku-Nipples
    Otaku-Nipples
    Host Club Member

Post by Otaku-Nipples Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:28 am

Tamakisnipples wrote:I know how derogatory otaku is in Japanese but I still call myself that even though I DEFINITELY have other interests just so people don't pick on me for reading manga in public. =__=
    I figure if I make fun of myself their fun is gone so they don't do it. Also I always get the "you're chubby why do you like these skinny pretty boys wouldn't it look funny?"
    Jerks.

I'd probably definitely call myself an Otaku haha~! Look at my username as well Onion XD

It's just better to ignore people like that, I used to get bullied for being a geeky girl back in High School and I quite literally severed all ties, like the Hitachiin Twins say "SEVERE ALL TIES"

People like that seriously aren't worth the time
    Keshia
    Keshia
    Host Club Member

Post by Keshia Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:30 am

I'd classify myself as an Otaku, for sure. Wink
    Raitei
    Raitei
    Ouran Student

Post by Raitei Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:47 pm

That is quite sad. I'm Asian, and considering there are foreigners everywhere (Asians, Whites, Blacks--I hope these don't sound derogatory or anything), and my family's got some foreign blood (Chinese), this never really became an issue here (although, I guess it can also be attributed to the fact that we accommodate just about anyone).

Dubbed anime shows and dramas (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and even Thai) are shown here every day, too, so otakus are actually very comfortable.

One thing. I don't get the reasoning "You don't understand it.. Blah blah." Well, hello? There are subs and translations. Do they actually think we don't read those things to better appreciate what we read, watch, and listen? I find such argument absurd. Neutral

Finally, understanding and appreciating other cultures is a wonderful thing. First, it enriches our knowledge. Second, it allows us to experience and see things, we might/couldn't have experienced and seen ourselves. Last, reading, listening to, and watching those foreign shows/manga/everything else is something I enjoy. So, I don't really care about/ignore other people who dislike them.
    Keshia
    Keshia
    Host Club Member

Post by Keshia Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:57 pm

Raitei wrote:That is quite sad. I'm Asian, and considering there are foreigners everywhere (Asians, Whites, Blacks--I hope these don't sound derogatory or anything), and my family's got some foreign blood (Chinese), this never really became an issue here (although, I guess it can also be attributed to the fact that we accommodate just about anyone).

Dubbed anime shows and dramas (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and even Thai) are shown here every day, too, so otakus are actually very comfortable.

One thing. I don't get the reasoning "You don't understand it.. Blah blah." Well, hello? There are subs and translations. Do they actually think we don't read those things to better appreciate what we read, watch, and listen? I find such argument absurd. Neutral

Finally, understanding and appreciating other cultures is a wonderful thing. First, it enriches our knowledge. Second, it allows us to experience and see things, we might/couldn't have experienced and seen ourselves. Last, reading, listening to, and watching those foreign shows/manga/everything else is something I enjoy. So, I don't really care about/ignore other people who dislike them.

Well said!

Tamakisnipples
    Tamakisnipples
    The King

Post by Tamakisnipples Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:03 am

Mhm!! Very Happy Glad someone else understands haha! I haven't been met with violent opposition, just teasing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:42 pm