Ouran Live Action

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Takagi Shinpei ~ solo interview

jade
    jade
    Takagicest

Takagi Shinpei ~ solo interview Empty Takagi Shinpei ~ solo interview

Post by jade

Shinpei Takagi
    I’m actually the younger brother but I say things more bluntly than Manpei, so I seem more like Hikaru.

Takagi Shinpei
    Born in Aichi Prefecture
    October 22, 1985
    Blood type: A

In 2006, he drew attention in his debut role as Momoshiro Takeshi in the 3rd generation “The Prince of Tennis” musical. Since then, he has acted in twin roles alongside his older brother Manpei in “Mei-chan no Shitsuji”, “Indigo no Yoru” and other dramas. Currently, he is playing the older of the two really intimate and beautiful twins, Hitachiin Hikaru, in the drama “Ouran High School Host Club”. This July, he had a Sanrio Polaroid exhibition with Hello Kitty.

Translated by: jade

The sense of intimacy between the two of them is difficult and bewildering.

I read the original work before this drama was conceived. I saw some characters that looked like twins on the front cover of “Ouran High School Host Club” in a bookstore and thought, “Huh? Aren’t those twins?” so I opened it up and flipped through to see the twins flirting (laugh). I thought it looked like an amazing fictional world and that it would definitely be adapted into a drama, so I talked it over with Manpei saying, “If it actually gets filmed, I absolutely want to do it. We’re the only ones that can do this.” When it was announced that the drama would be made, it felt like my dream had come true and I was really happy, so the first thing I did was call my mom (laugh).

At the time I was reading the manga, I thought that I suited Hikaru better. I was really feeling the way the older brother spoke his mind about everything. Kaoru didn’t as much; he was more like the follower. I’m actually the younger brother, but I say things more bluntly than Manpei and I’m the type to notice I can hurt others with this behavior. When the director also said, “Actually, ever since I met Shinpei, I’ve thought that he’s Hikaru,” I thought, “That’s right!”

When we really tried acting them out, we didn’t believe their “twins in love with each other” gimmick would be incorporated. Now we’re pretty used to it, but at first their sense of intimacy was extremely difficult. Up until now, we’ve played twins many times but this is the first time we’ve said our lines with our heads so close or caressed each other’s faces (laugh). The director would jokingly tell us stuff like, “Kiss each other” (laugh). Around the start of filming, we couldn’t envision how we would look on screen and it was scary, but now it’s gotten quite fun for Manpei and I to talk it over as we act it out like, “It’d be more interesting to do it more like this, right?” If we overdo it, the audience will draw back, but I think it would be best if we can really get them infatuated and thinking, “I love it <3”

Other than that, even though Hikaru and Kaoru are super mischievous, they are, after all, from a very high-class household, so we have to be careful not to damage that cultured atmosphere. Thinking of the twins in the manga, they had this image of their shirt buttons always being open, but in the drama, they’re all carefully in place and their uniforms are immaculate. Their postures when they sit and the way they hold their cups are elegant. On top of all that, we discussed it with the director and decided to give them a slightly playful gait.

Also, I’m establishing myself as a 16 year old, so before I started the drama, I went on a no-carbs diet and dropped 5 kilograms (11 pounds). I also went to the dermatologist for my skin and had my teeth cleaned. I thought that if I didn’t at least do that much, there was probably no way I could pass as a 16 year old (laugh). Now I eat a normal breakfast and lunch, but I still only eat salad for dinner. There are more scenes where we take our clothes off so I can’t drop my guard (laugh).

I completely understand Ayame’s feelings!

In the middle of jumping into this wider view of the Ouran world, there are times when you can sympathize with others or have moments of suspense, and that kind of thing is great. Recently there was a scene with Jonochi Ayame which I really liked. She loves Tamaki but she says “That kind of man is physiologically impossible!” instead. When she dashes from the room and drops a pen, it’s Tamaki’s pen. Then Honey-sempai sees this and says, “Ayame-chan must really love Tama-chan, huh?” When I saw this scene, I thought, “I completely understand Ayame’s feelings!” She actually loves Tamaki when she talks about things with him, but even though she thinks about having him closer than anyone else, especially because she likes him, she has her pride to consider and then things get awkward with him. Actually, I’m also the same type of person (laugh). When I was in elementary school, I wanted to be mean to the girls that I liked (laugh). When I liked the girl that sat in front of me and I threw my eraser dust at her, she told me, “That’s not stuck in my hair, is it? Stop it! I really hate you, Shinpei!” (laugh). I really wanted to talk to her normally but I couldn’t communicate well and I wanted her to pay attention to me so I teased her. That’s the Ayame type of “backfire” (laugh). So, I’ve had a lot of one-sided loves that all ended that way. Manpei is much better at that type of thing, always talking normally with the girl he likes. That’s an example of twins being completely different from each other.

We played around in the public bath and the 4 of us drank until morning

In the time between takes, the host club usually gets together to eat and hang out; every now and then we’ll do muscle training on our stomach muscles and stuff. It’s turning into another story about Manpei, but one time he went missing during break time. I said, “Manpei’s not here!” and went around looking for him. I found him in the back of the dressing room with his feet sticking out from the bottom of the clothing rack. He was dead asleep (laugh).

This is before we had really started hanging out together, but during the rehearsals before filming, the four of us, me, Manpei, (Nakamura) Masaya, and Chiba (Yudai), went out to eat about 3 times. That day, filming continued until late and it would start again early the next morning, so the four of us decided to stay the night in the nap room. We all went to the public bath and played around. After we got out of the bath, we bought alcohol and drank together. Then I thought, “I’ll go head and go to sleep,” and climbed onto the top bunk, but about 5 minutes later, I heard Masaya say from below, “Manpei drank some of my alcohol with me but I guess Shinpei won’t drink with me ~” (laugh). I didn’t have any other choice then, so when I climbed back down and said, “Do you want to drink with me?” this huge 192 cm man gave me an adorably cute smile and said, “Yeah! <3” (laugh). So just like that, we started filming the next day without ever really going to sleep (laugh). But (I don’t regret it because) I want to treasure that kind of communication and fellowship. When I get on set, I think I flip a switch so that I enjoy enjoyable things and work hard when it’s time to work.

“Ouran High School Host Club” is a drama packed with an unbelievable amount of aspirations and dreams, so even though I’m only one person, I hope I can make many people at least a little happier. In order to do that, I’ll also work with everything in me to stir up the excitement in this host club.
    Share this post on: reddit

abtomat

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:32 pm by abtomat

jade wrote:Also, I’m establishing myself as a 16 year old, so before I started the drama, I went on a no-carbs diet and dropped 5 kilograms (11 pounds). I also went to the dermatologist for my skin and had my teeth cleaned. I thought that if I didn’t at least do that much, there was probably no way I could pass as a 16 year old (laugh). Now I eat a normal breakfast and lunch, but I still only eat salad for dinner. There are more scenes where we take our clothes off so I can’t drop my guard (laugh).

wooow i didnt know he did all that to get ready for the role!
    thanks for translating!
    Otaku-Nipples

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:14 am by Otaku-Nipples

I climbed back down and said, “Do you want to drink with me?” this huge 192 cm man gave me an adorably cute smile and said, “Yeah! <3” (laugh).

Aww! He is so cute, I could just imagine Mori-Senpai looking like that Onion Daydreaming

Post  by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am